Decatur Councilman Jerry Dawson
May 1, 2013 – April 30, 2017
Councilman Jerry Dawson is currently an instructor at Richland Community College.
Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota but has lived in Decatur since 1964. Graduated from St. Teresa High School in 1974. All City and All Conference in football. Attended SIU-Carbondale on full NCAA football scholarship. Graduated from UIS (formerly Sangamon State University) in 1988 with a BA in Criminal Justice. Graduated from the Police Training Institute at the University of Illinois in 1977.
Was hired as a deputy sheriff for the Macon County Sheriff’s Office in 1977. Was promoted to Detective in 1983, promoted to Sergeant in 1988, promoted to Lieutenant in 1997 and promoted to Captain in 1999. Held positions of Jail Superintendent and Chief of Investigations.
Was appointed Sheriff of Macon County in 2003 and elected in 2004 and again in 2006. Retired in September of 2008.
Married to Rebecca (Dawson) and have five children, Jenny 29, Joni 25, Brian 20, and step-daughters Brittany 18, and Amber 16.
Member of Holy Family Catholic Church.
Community Service – past and present:
- Board member, Mid-Illinois Chapter of American Red Cross
- Board member, Community Investment Corporation of Decatur
- Board member, St. Teresa Alumni Committee
- Board member, Central Illinois Regional Committee for Law Enforcement (president)
- Board member, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority (appointed by Governor)
- Board member, Fight Crime / Invest in Kids – Illinois Chapter (executive committee)
- Member, Knights of Columbus #577
- Member, Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #144
- Member, Policeman’s Benevolent & Protective Association Unit #99 (charter member)
- Member, Illinois Sheriff’s Association
- Member, National Sheriff’s Association
- Coach, JFL Football
- Coach, Decatur Catholic Bulldogs
Councilman Jerry Dawson
c/o City of Decatur
#1 Gary K. Anderson Plaza
Decatur, IL 62523
Phone (217) 424-2804 / Fax (217) 424-2732