City of Decatur Police Department
Do You Want To Be a Police Officer?
- Automatic Disqualifiers
- Hiring Process
- Power Test Standards
- Duties / Salaries / Benefits / General Information
Mission of the Decatur Police Department
The Decatur City Code identifies the responsibility of the Decatur Police Department as the protection of life and property, the protection of rights of persons, the enforcement of ordinances and regulations and the preservation of peace, order and safety.
With the City Code as mandate for service, the Departmental responsibilities or mission statement of the Decatur Police Department are identified as:
- To prevent and repress crime.
- To detect criminal activity and to apprehend offenders.
- To protect life and property.
- To facilitate the safe movement of people and vehicles.
- To assist those in danger, those who cannot care for themselves and those in need of assistance.
- To protect individual constitutional rights.
- To resolve conflict threatening to life and property.
- To create and maintain a feeling of security in the community.